Sunday, September 9, 2012

Nira Omelet にら卵

I grew up eating this. Whenever we have nira left over from making gyoza dumplings or other dish, I head straight for the fridge to grab a couple of eggs and make this amazingly simple and delicious omelet. Nira is also sometimes called Chinese chives. It tastes like a cross between garlic and green onions, and looks like a flat version of green onions (without the bulbs on the end). They're dark green and they look like a bundle of grass.


Here is all that's needed:
  • 1/4 cup nira, roughly chopped
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp cooking oil
  • salt
  • white pepper
  • soy sauce
I heat up the pan with some olive oil and then throw in the nira. Once that gets going, I drop in the eggs, scrambled. Some salt and white pepper get sprinkled in. Not a whole lot of salt, because later I'll be adding soy sauce. 

I let the bottom brown and then flip the omelet. A few minutes on the flip side and then all done! After I serve the omelet on a plate, I dribble a little bit of soy sauce on it, just to lightly coat. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment